Bone Dry Multi-Shield Prevents Water Damage
Building Materials Protected by Multi-Shield's Waterproofing and Weatherization Power
Aside from abrasion, virtually all material degradation involves water. Mineral-based construction materials can, by virtue of their pore structures, absorb water through their capillaries. Water enters not only through their exterior facades, but also by the humidity within buildings; by ground water and by penetration through cracks, seams and joints.
A vast array of construction materials are mineral based products and are vulnerable to water damage. These are used to build long-lasting and durable office buildings, factories, roads and homes. Bone Dry’s Multi-Shield surface weather repellant protects building materials used in traditional construction products, as well as new, innovative offerings. Multi-Shield protects building materials like:
- Cement-bonded materials
- Finishing systems products
- Bricks and mortars
- Natural-stone wood
- Wood decking
Not What You're Looking For? Browse all of Bone Dry's product line for the best in moisture mitigation and waterproofing products.
Waterproof Building Materials at Low Cost with Bone Dry Multi-Shield
|History has shown that for every 100 buildings, 24 are damaged in the first year, 15 in the second, 7 in the third, 6 in the fourth and 3 in the fifth. This means that 55% of all buildings are damaged within five years. The annual cost of this damage can run into the billion-dollar range.
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield cannot make up for poor construction, but it will play a major role in extending the useful life of many substrates. While Bone Dry® Multi-Shield only contributes a small fraction of the total construction cost, its performance is crucial to service life. Bone Dry® Multi-Shield has a unique molecular makeup and is compatible with most substrates.
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield differs from most water proofing solutions because of its vapor transmission abilities, which allow for long-term product and substrate performance. Vapor transmission is crucial for cementitious building materials to promote carbonation—an essential process for hardening and strengthening.
How Does Multi-Shield Work?
How can Bone Dry® Multi-Shield repel water so effectively and yet manage to remain permeable to water vapor? To use an analogy, it functions like leaves do in nature. Leaves hold water at bay, allowing it to run off the surface, but they also exchange gases with the environment.
Film-forming surface coatings cannot keep water out completely and can even trap it within the construction materials. This results in absorbed water that often carries harmful substances, enters mineral construction materials and causes degradation through mechanical, chemical, and biological-based mechanisms.
- Bone Dry® Multi-Shield is highly resistant to UV degradation allowing for long- term protection of the substrate in which they are applied.
- Bone Dry® Multi-Shield will not produce salts from over-application like most water proofing products do. These carbonate salts are hard to remove, costing time and money.
- Bone Dry® Multi-Shield does not have to be applied in a wet on wet application, like other products available do.
Don’t Let H2O Win: Bone Dry’s Multi-Shield Guards against Water’s Destructive Nature
Water causes freeze/thaw damage. Water can also carry dirt, requiring expensive cleaning and coating applications to restore appearance of construction materials. Substances dissolved in water, especially chloride compounds (from road salt), are more deleterious than freeze/thaw effects.
No More Chloride and Sulfate Damage
Both chloride and sulfate ions carried by water chemically generate expansive forces causing degradation of rebar and lime-based construction materials. For example, the high alkalinity of new concrete protects steel rebar against corrosion, but as concrete ages, carbonation occurs, and the alkalinity of concrete is lowered. Alkaline protection is lost and water-carrying chloride ions penetrate, causing steel to corrode.
Protect against Steel Corrosion with Multi-Shield
When steel corrodes, its volume increases by a factor of 2.5, giving rise to destructive forces a thin concrete covering cannot withstand. These expansive forces are also created when acid rain interacts with concrete and forms higher-volume calcium sulfate from calcium carbonate, leading to concrete spalling. Maintaining construction materials always means protecting them against chemical sources of degradation. Multi-Shield is your best solution.
Bone Dry Moisture Mitigation products are the answer to the damaging effects of moisture on building materials. Browse our comprehensive product line today!
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield Description
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield is a Water Proofer for unprotected concrete masonry, porous stone, and wood products such as:
- Architectural Concrete
- Split Face Block
- Natural Stone including Limestone, sandstone, and Granite
- Exposed Aggregates
- Fiber Reinforced Concrete
- Clay Brick and Tile
- Terra Cotta
- Wall Board
- Pipe Insulation
- Wood- Decking
- Any Architectural Surface Requiring a water proofer
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield Product Benefits
- Provides excellent water repellence to reduce cracking, spalling, freeze/thaw damage, chemical degradation, biological growth, efflorescence, and dirt pickup, lengthening substrate life and reducing maintenance costs.
- Provides excellent beading for improved aesthetics.
- Causes no change in substrate appearances.
- Provides application flexibility, performing well on both neutral and highly alkaline surfaces.
- Physically and chemically bonds to substrate increasing product life and making cleaning easier and reducing maintenance costs.
- Is UV stable which provides a longer coating life and requires less repetitive applications.
- Is vapor permeable, resisting cracking, peeling and blistering, and prevents carbonation to continue after application. This lengthens product and substrate life and allows greater substrate structural strength over time.
- Is transparent and non-yellowing, retaining desired appearances.
- Product is ready for use - no thinning is necessary.
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield Surface Preparation
Before applying Bone Dry® Multi-Shield all surfaces should be clean, dry, and free from the following:
- Curing Compounds
- Water Proofers
- Other contaminants
If efflorescence (white residue) is present, wash surface with required amount of muriatic acid, then rinse with water and allow to dry.
Application to a dry surface is preferred to facilitate maximum penetration for optimum performance.
Wood surfaces and Masonry surfaces may be cleaned by any agreeable method such as:
- Stain Removers, Strippers
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield Product Application
- Apply Bone Dry® Multi-Shield until the substrate is completely coated. Apply uniformly and avoid over application. Heavy runs and drips should be thoroughly brushed into the surface. On extremely porous substrates, two applications of Bone Dry® Multi-Shield will provide superior application
- When applying to vertical surfaces, Bone Dry® Multi-Shield should be applied in a single saturating application with sufficient material applied thoroughly wetting the surface, in order to create a waterproof barrier on the substrate.
- Apply the second coat immediately after the first coat has penetrated. Control application so that the second coat is applied within a few minutes after the first coat appears dry.
- Bone Dry® Multi-Shield can be applied with brush, roller, mop, or sprayer. Thoroughly wash all equipment and clothing after use. Application equipment may be cleaned with soap and water.
Bone Dry® Multi-Shield Limitations
- Product cannot be exposed to water for 12 hours after application
- Product cannot be applied in freezing temperatures or if temperature falls below freezing within 24 hours after application.
- Product must be stored between 35°F and 105°F.